SharePoint List Destination Oddity

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I want to maintain a SharePoint list with data given in an SQL server database. It seemed I could do this using the OLE DB source and SharePoint list destination components.   Even though I’m new to using SharePoint, SQL server, and Visual Studio, it was relatively easy to put together the data flow task following the MSDN tutorial.

The task successfully ran the first time and populated the empty list with an item for each database record. The list contains a “Title” column and it was populated with the expected value. However, upon closer examination, it seems the built-in columns “Title (linked to item)” and “Title (linked to item with edit menu)” columns are not displaying the appropriate data.

I expected the latter columns to display the same value as the “Title” column. When using SharePoint to add new items to the list, the linked “Title” columns show the value specified for the item title. When using the SharePoint list destination component to add items, the linked “Title” columns display “N_.000” where N = 1, 2, 3...

It’s not obvious to me what could be causing this and I don’t know where to begin to troubleshoot. I couldn’t find anything related to this in the discussions, so maybe I’m the first one to see this problem. I’m using SharePoint Foundation 2010 and SQL server 2008 R2 and would appreciate some help to resolve this issue.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:27 PM

After further analysis, the item added to the SharePoint list is a derived Folder content type item and it’s the Name column that is getting set to this “N_.000” value and is displayed for the linked “Title” column value.

I think this would work as expected if I could map a DB column to the “Name” column, but for some reason this column is not an available column. What controls what columns are available in the destination list?

It looks like the column has to be specified in the list’s column settings. Not a big deal, except that I don’t see how to get the “Name” column (from the Folder content type) to be included in list columns. What am I missing here other than this column in the list?