Long Field returning 255 chars

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

There's probably something simple I'm overlooking here - I'm importing a sharepoint list with a long text field via SSIS using the adapter but can't seem to get more than 255 characters out of it.

I've tried DT_TEXT, DT_NTEXT, DT_STR(1000), DT_WSTR(1000) for input and output column datatypes on both sharepoint source and destination object.

I've tried using OLE DB and ADO.NET destinations, using varchar(1000), Text, and SQL variant database destination fields, sending it to flat file, etc.

I've tried dataconvert from DT_NTEXT to ST_WSTR(1000).  

I've confirmed the fields have more than 255 chars on the sharepoint site.

The adapter detects DT_WSTR(255) as the datatype for the field.

Any help would be appreciated. I didn't see a previous discussion on this so I'm assuming it's something simple I'm doing wrong...

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Is the SP Field a multi-line field?  DT_NText is the thing to use, and if you changed the detected field to be DT_NText, it should pull it all in. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

My problem is resolved - it was due to a misunderstanding of the sharepoint data schema on my end.

The infopath .xml file was storing more than 255 chars, but the sharepoint list was pulling that data in as a single line. The sharepoint admin added an additional multi-line field to pull from the same field in the infopath form; importing the multi-line field using the adapter worked correctly.

Thanks for looking at this post and offering suggestion(s).