Really slow performance when extracting from SharePoint

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Hi,

Does any one have some suggestions to improve performance when just extracting data from a SP list? I'm using the adapter to extract data from our Diary solution, and when  I extract our list of contacts, it takes several hours. I don't know the exact record count of the list, but my guess would be that it's around 500.000 records.

Other smaller lists works ok. I have another list with 22.000 records and that extracts within a few minutes.

I have tried to set the batch size to different values, but I can't really see it makes any big difference. The annoying thing is also that when I run the package, the step is just "yellow" for most of the times where it seems like there are no activity.

I can't be the only one that are struggeling with performance, so what have others done? Are the any "best practice" for setting the adapter for best performance?

 

Regards

Steen

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I am interested in knowing a solution for this. Even am facing exactly the same scenario which takes lot of time to port the data.

Pls let us know whether there is any way we can tweak the querying and porting performance with Source : SharePoint List 2010 and Destination : SQL 2008 Table.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

We never found a solution and since we had other issues as well with the adapter we have stopped using it. Instead we have created a script that extracts all data from SharePoint to a SQL table and then we get the data from there. I don't know how this script is made though since it has been done by an external SharePoint consultant.

I find this a bit cumbersome and annoying and honestly I don't understand why Microsoft haven't got any "official" option to connect to SharePoint and extract data.