Is There a Field Limit? Seems so...

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I am importing a list with about 30 fields, 10 of which are lookup fields.  I kept getting an unknown error and after some troubleshooting realized if I split it up into three partial connections and joined the data together it would work.

So, it appears that there is some kind of limit as to the number of fields you can import at once... is it known what that is?  More info here...

http://www.sharepointsteve.com/2010/06/field-limit-for-sharepoint-source-and-destinations-for-ssis/

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:14 AM

THanks for posting this Steve. I'm not aware of any limit to the update, I've updated about 30 or so fields at once. I have noticed it tends to be the size of the XML packet which is largely variable and not really something that can be determined too easily. I have heard from people who are pulling 50-100 fields from SharePoint at once, so I think it depends on the list and how wide the fields of data are.  If you open a data visualizer on the line coming from the source, perhaps you will see a field in there which has a lot of data that you can just remove from the source connection (removing the field using the advanced dialog will make the sharepoint source connector not request that field's data and make the packet smaller).