People Field erroring out on import.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I'm trying to import several names into list items using the people field.

I've validated that the names are members of the site.
I've validated that I can update the items manually
I've validated that the spellings of the names are accurate
I've tried importing the data as Unicode String [DT-WSTR] which is the type of data column it showed on the sharePoint destination.
I've tried importing the name as LastName, FirstName which didn't work even though if I enter the data with this format manually it works fine.
I've tried importing the name as FirstName.LastName which didn't work even though if I enter the data with this format manually it works fine.
I've validated it's not a timeout issue by dropping the batch down to 1 unit at a time.
I've validated all columns are not "required" so it's not another data field affecting this one.
I'm at a loss as to what to do and I've grown tired of SharePoint workflows to update data on files and I really need to get this automated backfill steps completed for a big project I'm working on.

I don't have SharePoint server access, I don't have Central admin access, I can't do code in powershell...I have to use the adapter in one what or another.

Long story short, I've been using this list adapter for well over a year with no issues until I tried importing data into People or Group fields.

What should the settings be to import these columns?
What am I missing that it won't import this data, but I can import any other column?

Any help would be appreciated.
Jun 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Hi,

Is there any update or guidance on this issue?

Thanks,
Steven
Jun 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Steven,

What I found to be the issue (not sure if this is legit, but it worked for me) was that some of the names were registered as users of the SharePoint site. Whenever permissions are added an ID is given to each name. My name for example, as the SharePoint sees it is 1;#Kepler, Todd, another user is 273;#Smith, John. What I had to do was make sure that every name I was trying to push existed in the sharepoint first with an ID, then I scripted to download the user list which included all the different ways their name could be represented. I run this on a nightly job to download the updated IDs. I then strip the 1;# and use the names to pull reports, etc, then when I'm ready to push back to the SharePoint list, I push the names back in the raw format with the ID prefix.

As I mentioned, not sure this is the "real way" to do this, but it worked for me. Limitations being that I can't add names systematically to the user group, those have to always be manually enterred and "found" in the directory first. Keep in mind though that I'm on a large corporate infracstucture that supports 300,000+ users, so my Team Site options might limit me whereas an an administrator you might have better options available to you.

Hope this helps.
Jun 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM
another thing I'll add is that if a user is no longer active in the SharePoint (deleted user, terminated, etc.) the import won't work regardless if you have the ID or not because the heirarchy information no longer exists in the farm I guess.
Jun 27, 2014 at 7:11 AM
thanks so much for the response. we'll see if we can query the user information list and construct the required format.
Sep 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM
SharePoint will look up for ID automatically if you use '-1;#' prefix. For instance: '-1;#domain\user' or '-1;#user'

Hope it helps
Sep 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM
wasilow wrote:
SharePoint will look up for ID automatically if you use '-1;#' prefix. For instance: '-1;#domain\user' or '-1;#user'

Hope it helps
Hi, that is extremely helpful. Will pass this on to customer for testing.

Cheers,
Steven